1420 N Street, NW, Suite T-5, Washington, DC, District of Columbia 20005
Contact Morris H. Deutsch 202-728-0820 Contact Morris H. Deutsch 202-728-0820

Knowledgeable Washington, D.C. Immigration Lawyers Answer Your Questions

Personal attention from experienced attorneys to your pressing immigration concerns

Whether you have concerns as an individual or for your business, Morris H. Deutsch, Immigration Attorney is prepared to offer sound advice and reliable representation. Since 1986, we have helped individuals and businesses manage immigration issues effectively and achieve positive results. From the heart of the nation’s capital, our lawyers are prepared to assist you on a broad range of issues. To give you an idea of how we can be of service, we’ve provided answers to our clients’ most frequently asked questions about immigration.  We invite you to contact us for complete solutions to your specific matters.

Our attorneys have more than 75 combined years of experience, so you can rely on our knowledge and background as you pursue your goals within the U.S. immigration system.

Contact our Washington, D.C. immigration law firm for efficient and personal service

For experienced counsel and efficient representation, call Morris H. Deutsch, Immigration Attorney today at 202-728-0820 or contact us online. Our DC office is conveniently located at 1666 Connecticut Avenue N.W., just a couple of blocks north of Dupont Circle.

What are some of the ways I can hire a high-level worker from a foreign country?

If you want to hire a foreign professional on a temporary basis, you can have that person apply for a visa as an H1B professional worker, an L-1 multinational transferee or as an O-1 extraordinary ability worker. Such workers can later apply to become permanent residents through labor certification or the EB-1 and EB-2 visa programs.

Back to Top

Can a foreign student who is graduating from an American school stay in the United States and work?

F-1 students who are completing their academic studies can apply for an Optional Practical Training (OPT) work permit good for 12 months. Students with STEM degrees whose employers use the E-Verify system can apply for an additional 24-month work permit.

Back to Top

How hard is it for a foreign national who is an executive for a multinational corporation to come work in the United States for the same company?

The person whom the question describes is an Intracompany Transferee, who can enter and work with an L-1 visa. The employee must be a manager, an executive, or a person with “specialized knowledge,” who has worked outside the United States for a foreign company related corporately to a U.S. company for at least a year.  The employee must be entering the country to assume a comparable position and is immediately eligible for permanent resident status.

Back to Top

What are some grounds for inadmissibility?

A foreign national can be ruled inadmissible for immigration to the United States for a variety of reasons including:  health, criminal concerns, national security concerns, the likelihood the immigrant would become a “public charge,” fraud or misrepresentation on a visa application, and prior removals from the United States. However, it is possible sometimes for an individual to obtain a waiver of the inadmissibility if there are mitigating circumstances.

Back to Top

What are grounds for removal from the Unites States?

A foreign national can be removed (deported) from the United States  for a variety of administrative and criminal violations. These include violating travel or documentation restrictions, having been inadmissible at the time of entry, attempting to smuggle a person into the country, marriage fraud, failing to register as a sex offender, engagement in terrorist activity, or conviction of the following offenses:  a crime of moral turpitude, aggravated felony, high-speed flight from an immigration checkpoint, drug crime, weapons offense, espionage, domestic violence, or child abuse, neglect or abandonment.

Back to Top

What are the terms of a fiancé/ fiancée visa?

A U.S. citizen wishing to marry a foreign person can bring their fiancé to the United States as a “fiancé” with a K-1 visa or as a “spouse” through a marriage-based application. Both parties must be free to marry, and must intend to marry within 90 days of the fiancé’s arrival in the United States. They must have seen each other in person at least once within two years of the application. Upon entry, the fiancé is immediately eligible to work in the United States. Then the foreign spouse may apply for permanent resident (green card) status.

Back to Top


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form

  • Please enter your full name(first name and last name)