1420 N Street, NW, Suite T-5, Washington, DC, District of Columbia 20005
CONTACT Morris H. Deutsch, Immigration Attorney TODAY 202-728-0820 CONTACT Morris H. Deutsch, Immigration Attorney TODAY 202-728-0820

Washington, D.C. Lawyers Help People Seeking Family-sponsored Permanent Residence

Caring legal team advises sponsors and foreign nationals on U.S. rules

A foreign national who enters the United States on an Immediate Relative visa or Family Preference visa can adjust to permanent resident status with full work authorization. Founded in Washington, D.C. in 1986, Morris H. Deutsch, Immigration Attorney has a long history of helping U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents sponsor immigrant visa petitions for spouses, children, parents and other loved ones. We work hard to reunite families separated by borders and bureaucracy, with the goal of making the visa application process as smooth and efficient as possible.

Established immigration law firm prepares Immediate Relative visa petitions

Immediate Relative (IR) immigrant visas are available to certain close family members of U.S. citizens. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security does not place any limit on the number of IR visas that can be granted each year.

A U.S. citizen serves as the sponsor for an IR visa. The visa recipient is called the beneficiary. The beneficiary’s relationship to the U.S. citizen sponsor determines the appropriate IR visa subcategory. A sponsor can petition for a:

  • Spouse — A U.S. citizen who marries a non-citizen can sponsor the IR1 visa application of their spouse.
  • Unmarried child — A U.S. citizen can sponsor the IR2 visa petition of an unmarried child who is under the age of 21.
  • Child adopted abroad — U.S. citizen parents who adopt children outside the country can bring their children home with IR3 visas.
  • Child adopted in the U.S. — A U.S. citizen parent can seek an IR4 visa for a non-citizen child adopted within the United States.
  • Parent — A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old can seek an IR5 visa for each of their parents.

A fiancé of a U.S. citizen who enters the country on a K-1 visa can obtain a marriage-based green card after fulfilling the requirements of the visa.

Our attorneys are knowledgeable in matters of family immigration and the challenges that arise during the visa application process. With care, patience and encouragement, we guide citizens and their loved ones every step of the way. We also help green card holders to apply for U.S. citizenship.

Knowledgeable advisers guide clients through the Family Preference visa process

A limited number of Family Preference visas are made available by the U.S. Department of State each year, with a specific quota for each subcategory. The limits on Family Preference visas often result in long wait times for eligible applicants. It may take anywhere from one year to decades for a beneficiary to receive a Family Preference visa.

There are four subcategories of Family Preference visas:

  • First preference — Unmarried children of U.S. citizens who are 21 years-old or older are eligible for the F1 visa.
  • Second preference — A lawful permanent resident can sponsor an F2A petition for a spouse or any unmarried children under the age of 21, or an F2B petition of an unmarried son or daughter over the age of 21.
  • Third preference — U.S. citizens can sponsor F3 petitions to seek immigrant visas for their married children.
  • Fourth preference — U.S. citizens over the age of 21 can sponsor F4 petitions for their siblings.

For beneficiaries in low-priority subcategories, we explore strategic alternatives for gaining authorization to live and work in the United States. With a thorough understanding of U.S. visa law, we advise our clients on any nonimmigrant and immigrant visa options for which they may qualify.

Contact a Washington, D.C. attorney regarding family-sponsored permanent residence

The attorneys at Morris H. Deutsch, Immigration Attorney in Washington D.C. offer one-on-one guidance to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who wish to sponsor visa petitions for family members seeking permanent residence in this country. To schedule an informative consultation, call 202-728-0820 or contact us online.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form